Blog Posts by Geelong Smile Studio
Beware the warning signs of Gum Disease
In our last post we discussed how gum disease is a major cause of tooth loss that is completely preventable with good oral hygiene, regular professional cleaning of the teeth by a dental hygienist and removal of risk factors such as smoking.
By the way, smokers are 20 times more likely to have gum disease than non-smokers!
More frightening than just tooth loss is the strong association between gum disease and other chronic inflammatory conditions such as cardiovascular disease, stroke, diabetes, osteoporosis, pregnancy problems and some respiratory diseases.
Individuals with gum disease are:
- Twice as likely to suffer from coronary artery disease and stroke
- More likely to develop diabetes
- Have greater bone loss if they also have osteoporosis
- Seven times more likely to have a premature and underweight baby.
The following are warning signs for gum disease:
- Red, swollen, or tender gums
- bleeding gums whilst brushing, flossing or spontaneously
- gums that are receding or pulling away from the teeth
- loose or separating teeth
- persistent bad breath, and
- a change in the way your teeth fit together.